The Institute of Natural Resources NPC (INR) is a Pietermaritzburg-based applied research organisation that integrates data, techniques, tools, perspectives, concepts, and theories from multiple disciplines to develop practical solutions for real-world environmental problems. We have done this for 42 years by partnering with government, civil society, the private sector, and other leading research organisations, making us a leading knowledge provider, strategic and operational supporter, capacity developer, and advocate for natural resource and environmental management in southern Africa. We are an independent, non-profit, public benefit organisation that brings seasoned and emerging social and natural scientists together to translate science into solutions for people and the environment.
The current Executive Director will be leaving in November 2022 owing to a move abroad. The organisation is seeking a suitable candidate as his replacement. The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications, expertise, experience and/or attributes:
- – Demonstrated organisational leadership ability and fiduciary responsibility;
- – Masters’ degree in the environmental, ecological or related sciences;
- – Minimum of ten years of senior management experience;
- – Demonstrated experience of research design and implementation within a consultancy and/or academic environment;
- – Extensive knowledge and understanding of the national and international environmental research funding landscape;
- – Ability to develop and review project proposals across a wide range of topics in the environmental, ecological and related sciences;
- – Ability to engage sector constituents, promote the organisation, build, and sustain professional partnerships;
- – Ability to support the development of technical and administrative staff;
- – Excellent reporting, communication and presentation skills.
A PhD, significant business experience and evidence of securing research funding will all be added advantages.
The Executive Director will be appointed on a five-year performance-based contract that can be extended by mutual agreement. Remuneration will be market-related and commensurate with expertise and experience.
Interested persons are invited to apply by sending a letter of motivation that clearly addresses how he/she meets the requirements for the position. This letter should be less than two pages in length and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject line should state ‘Executive Director’. Do not attach other supporting documentation at this stage. Applications close on 30th September 2022. Should you not have received any feedback by 31st October 2022 you can assume you were unsuccessful.