The uMgungundlovu District Municipality (uMDM) has, with the support of the KZN Department of Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs (EDTEA), undertaken to develop an Environmental Management Framework (EMF) that builds on the recently completed Strategic Environmental Assessment and Management Plan (SEMP). It is required that information related to key environmental features established in the SEMP is enhanced, specifically in Key Focus Areas (KFAs) and that this understanding of the environmental priorities is translated into a decision support system that serves to inform sustainable development planning in the District. It is further intended that the EMF is gazetted so as to strengthen the role of the EMF outputs in environmental decision making in the District. The Institute of Natural Resources NPC (INR) has been appointed to undertake the development of the EMF for the UMDM.
Aim and Objectives: The broad aim of the EMF is to guide municipal planning and support decision making for specific development applications in the UMDM in terms of environmental sustainability. This is achieved by meeting the following specific objectives and associated outputs:
- Improved accuracy in mapping and understanding of key environmental issues, namely: agricultural production, water availability and quality, wetlands, biodiversity and service infrastructure.
- Detailed mapping and understanding in five KFAs where development pressure is highest.
- The translation of this understanding and sustainability objectives into easily understood and applied planning guidelines.
- The development of a user friendly web-accessed Decision Support Tool (DST) that enables access to the guidelines and use of the query tool.
- The development meets legal requirements for gazetting the outputs.
- The process is transparent, involving appropriate consultation at key points and builds on the engagement undertaken in the development of the SEMP.
Project Documents and Information
- STATUS QUO
- Status Quo Report and Maps – UMDM SEA Status Quo Report FINAL
- STRATEGIC ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT
- SEA Report – including Desired Future State – UMDM EMF_SEA and DFS Report FINAL
- ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT FRAMEWORK (FINAL REPORTS)
- EMF Report –uMgungundlovu EMF_EMF Report _FINAL_August Rev
- EMF Report isiZulu Executive Summary EMF executive summary isiZulu _Report_ Final Rev 1
- EMF Report – Public Participation Report provided as Appendix – UMDM EMF _EMF Report _Appendix 2 PPP Report_Final
- EMF Volume I: Strategic Environmental Management Plan (SEMP) – uMgungundlovu EMF_Vol I SEMP_August Rev
- EMF Volume II: Environmental Sensitivity Zones and Assessment Guideline – uMgungundlovu EMF_Volume II Environmental Sensitivity Zones and Guideline _FINAL_August Rev
- EMF Volume III: Development Planning Zones and Guideline – uMgungundlovu EMF_Volume III _Development Planning Guidelines_Final_ August Rev
- EMF Report – Specialist Reports:
- Water Yield – UMDM EMF Water Yield Report_Final
- Agriculture – UMDM EMF_Agriculture Report_ Final
- Water Quality – UMDM EMF Water Quality Report_Final
- Biodiversity – UMDM EMF Biodiversity Report_Final
- Flood Risk – UMDM EMF Flood Risk Report_Final
- Infrastructure – UMDM EMF_Infrastructure Report_Final
- Wetland – UMDM EMF_Wetland Report_Final
- Decision Support Tool – DST_User_Manual
- Final Inception Report
- Main Report: UMDM EMF_Inception Report_Final Report_October 2016
- Comments and Response Register: UMDM EMF_Inception Report C&R Register_October 2016
- General Information
- PSC Inception Meeting (1)
- Public Meeting 1
- PSC Specialist Assessment Progress Meeting (2)
- PSC Draft EMF Meeting (3)
- Public Meeting 2
Registration and Comments
- Complete the form below to register as an interested and affected party (I&AP) and/or submit comment. Comment may be submitted throughout the project duration. I&APs will be notified via email on project milestones, developments and public meetings. Note that this webpost will be continuously updated throughout the EMF development for the I&APs convenience.